SBE’s interns received an Award of Merit from the Building Designers Association of Victoria for their 10 star house design. We congratulate them on their efforts.
Subject: 10-Star Sustainable Design Challenge 2018
Hello, Lauren, Poornima, and Xiangting
Thank you for your submission in the BDAV’s 10-Star Sustainable Design Challenge. The Judges have determined that a Certificate of Merit be awarded to you, in recognition of your efforts.
During their deliberations, the Judges made the following observations about your submission, which we share with you to assist you further develop your skills:
- The submission has design merit, and has been well considered, with visual interest.
- The master bedroom seems disproportionate to the bed as shown, and the WIR underwhelming.
- The main passage is 1.5m wide suggesting accessibility is partially considered but it doesn’t continue through with other integration. It may have needed a little more work on the flow of the building.
- A little more could have been be done on the presentation side of the documents, with improved indoor/outdoor connection.
- In reviewing the frate file, no allowance for an R-value of earth has been assumed to the roof. The R2.3 is to the rear metal portion - 100mm blanket under roof sheets.
- Therefore it could further be argued that the earth berm could be metal deck meaning handrail is not needed – changes the appearance and design, but arguable.
- A couple of small errors in the assessment, but without a change in outcome.
- A slight reduction to 9.9 stars if we consider the plans show timber flooring, but tiles was used.
Nonetheless, a well-considered submission, and worthy of a Certificate of Merit.
We appreciate the time and effort your collaboration put into this submission, and wish you every success as you all progress your career.
Building Designers Association of Victoria
|+61 3 9416 0227